>I say, You say, we all say Luray.

>This past weekend I kicked off my traithlon season with a double header – the Luray International Triathlon on Saturday, and the Luray Sprint on Sunday. In 2008 I did the olympic distance and knew that I would like to come back and try the double. Friday afternoon I headed down to Luray with a couple friends to stay in the “Hilltop Hideaway” house that was rented for the weekend (pics to come soon). Seeing as the weather wasn’t the greatest most of the weekend, I was glad not to have us all stuffed into a hotel room the entire time. Instead we got to watch a lot of movies, play with sweet toys, and sleep in bunk beds!

Anyway, back to the race. Going into it, I felt pretty good. Despite having only my road bike to race on right now, I figured my bike and my run would be solid, and my swim would be what it was….probably not that good, but it’d get me there. The first tri of the season is always a ltitle nerve racking, but before I knew it I was in the water, swimming my little arms off. I came out just over 28 minutes, which comparitively ended up being a very good time for me. I hopped on my bike and took off, hoping to gain some ground on the girls ahead. While I did catch a few of them, a strong headwing on an already tough course gave me a run for my money. By the time I hit the run, my legs were spent. Although, I didn’t know it until after the first lap. Having friends out on the course certainly helped as I was struggling to get through the second loop. But, I made it and came through in 2:44. 



I did a 2:34 here 2 years ago, and I am in better shape right now! A little bummed, I have since perused the results and have concluded that the hard bike this weekend took its toll on everyones bike and run. And, the swim was a different course than 2 years ago. So really, no room for comparison. Especially considering the winning women’s time this year was a 2:36 (I ended up in 7th).

After a solid mexican feast, we headed back to the cabin to relax. Before I knew it I was waking up again though, this time for the sprint (whew). I was the only one of the crew doing the double, and I was pretty thankful to have friends out there rooting for me, especially in the pouring rain that Sunday brought us. By the time the race actually started though it was mostly dry. My swim felt strong, and getting onto the bike I was almost tentative after the “disappointment” I felt like I had the day before. But I just put my head down and got through it, ready to see where I stood when I was on the run. Surprisingly, I wasn’t too far behind the leader. However, in that span of a couple minutes was about 6 other girls. My legs were feeling the effects of a week of training and a race the day before, and I came through the line in 1:36, ending up in 12th place overall.

Overall, it was a good start to my season. Unfortunately, the way things work out my next race is the big one. But this isn’t the time to start doubting myself. In the next couple weeks I’ll finalize my plan for either a new bike or turning my road bike into something race-worthy. Hopefully that will let my mind rest a little more and allow me to get in the last 2 big weeks of training.

Published by Alyssa Godesky

Alyssa is a professional triathlete who has logged over 8,000 miles in competition of swimming, biking and running across five continents. She came to triathlon from an ultrarunning background and over the last few years has found success back on the trails: in 2018 she set the female supported Fastest Known Time (FKT) on Vermont's 273 mile Long Trail in 5 days, 2 hours and 37 minutes. In 2020 she set the women's supported FKT for climbing the 46 High Peaks in the Adirondacks in 3 days, 16 hours and 16 minutes. She is a triathlon and running coach, and also enjoys spending time guiding hikers out on the trails. Alyssa is based in Charlottesville, VA with her dog Ramona.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *