5. The beach. Whether it is enjoying some pre-race R&R, or just taking in the gorgeous sunrise before the race, the beach in Old Orchard Beach, Maine is simply stunning. And if you don’t want to believe me, then maybe you can believe Triathlete Magazine which ranked it in the top 15 breathtaking swim courses!
4. The lobster. And the picture opportunities that come with lobsters. It would probably be a crime to go through Maine without eating some lobster, and this race kills two birds with one stone and the post-race lobster bake!
3. The run course. It’s no secret that I love long distance trails in the US. I just love the concept of being able to take a path not meant for cars and allowing it to take you miles and miles from the start of your journey. The run course in Maine takes you onto the Eastern Trail and that makes for a fast run – and one that is mostly shaded! I love being able to step off the pavement onto the trail and just get in the zone as the miles tick by.
2. The time of year. August isn’t always the best time of the year to race, especially in the Baltimore area where I live. However, a few states north in Maine the temps the past two years have been ideal for summer racing. It IS still summer, but it’s a better summer up there, I have to say. Plus, with a fairly shaded course, you’re not going to get hit too hard with the elements. August is also perfect timing to gear up for a longer race in the fall, or build through the season to peak here before hanging up the bike cleats and clearing your Sundays for football and beers.
1. The people. The triathlon community in Maine has been so welcoming the past two years. They have opened up their homes for us athletes to stay in, relax in post race, and shared a bit of their lives with us. After two years it is now a tradition for me to head to a homestay in Cape Porpoise, and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I am forever grateful to Nick and the other members of the Kennebunk Beach Triathlon Club who have helped make this such a wonderful experience for me from day one! Thank you!